Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Dreamer


This drawing was prompted by a last minute 'Dreamer's' challenge. The challenge was stemmed from one out of three writing prompts that were posted. The prompt was 'I'm afraid if I start dreaming....' The topic became a conversation that a lot of us felt moved to participate in. Teri (the other moderator *hearts*) posted a poem done by the wonderful Shel Silverstein...which has quickly become one of my favorite poems of all time:

"If you are a dreamer, come in.
If you are a dreamer, a wisher, a liar,
A hope-er, a pray-er, a magic bean buyer.
If you're a pretender, come sit by my fire,
for we have some flax-golden tales to spin.
Come in! Come in!"

My biggest issue with actually being a 'dreamer' is my inner critic telling me I can't accomplish anything I want to do. I'm a failure, I won't, I can't, I don't, etc. So, that's where the drawing came from. I also doodled two little poems for myself:

Dream big!
Dream Small!
Doesn't Matter,
Dream it all!

To dream is a journey
Like no other...
You can succeed or fail,
So, why bother?
It's more safe to not know
"What else is there?"
We should try it all
But, why bother?
What is your fear?
You can succeed or fail!
Like no other!!
Dream! Dream! Dream!
It's a lovely journey!

Needless to say, that little pouty, cranky, child standing on my shoulder in the photo, absolutely needs to GO! :)

1 comment:

teri said...

I love this poem, Toni. In fact, I love reading all your poems!